Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Very Happy Birthday, Indeed!

Well here I am, taking the advice of so many and starting my very own blog. What people in civilian life do not understand is how common my story is in military circles, but nonetheless I am diving head first into this blogging world.

On Sunday 16 May 2010 my soldier reported for Ranger School, something he has dreamed about since he was a boy. I remember one of the first conversations we had- before we even started dating- the topic of the ROTC "Ranger Challenge" came up and Andrew said how the Army Rangers are the most elite soldiers in the world. At that point he felt that he would probably never get the opportunity to go to even go to Ranger School, let alone be a Ranger, and now here we are, not even three years later and he is getting his chance!

The first week was stressful for us back home to say the least, but I can't even imagine what Andrew was put through. Every time my phone rang on that first day, my heart sank. It was a weird feeling, but I honestly hoped and prayed that I would not hear from Andrew that day, because if he called, it meant he failed out. Day 1 went by without a word. Before I knew it, the first week (they call it RAP week- when they are really weeding out the weak and are always playing mental games with you) was over. I kept myself busy, but he was always on my mind and in my heart. He sent two letters home so his family and I could know that he was doing well and what he and all the guys were up to and I sent two letters out to him. We decided not to send too many so that we weren't always expecting a letter and then when we actually got a letter it would be a happy surprise! :)

So phase 1 ended on 4 June- which also happened to be Andrew's 23rd birthday! If I got a call from Andrew on the 4th it meant that he passed Phase I and was onto Phase II in the mountains; BUT if he didn't call until the 5th it meant a recycle which would mean three weeks of lockdown at Fort Benning and then restarting the first phase. I was expecting to get a call before noon, thinking that those who passed would be released (for their 8 hour pass) around 8 or 9- as I had been told by other girlfriends and wives who had guys who had already been through Ranger School.

11 o'clock. No word.

12 o'clock. No word.

1 o'clock-- STILL no word. I hated the feeling that I was losing hope (and I hate admitting it now), but in all honesty I was. I was mentally and emotionally preparing myself not only for the possible recycle but also for the call the following day when Andrew would be sure to be very upset.

At 1:30 I checked my sent text messages to find that the "Happy Birthday" text I had sent Andrew that morning had gone through. His phone was on. Why hadn't he called? Didn't matter, he was home and his phone was on! Fifteen or twenty minutes went by and still no call! (Seriously Andrew, next time CALL!) Finally I saw that his roommate was online so I asked if he had heard anything. His roommate said Andrew did well and is moving onto the next phase... and was sitting in the living room. My heart was racing and I asked him to have Andrew call me when he had a minute!

At this point I was at ease because I knew Andrew had moved onto the next phase! I can't tell you how excited and proud and relieved I was! I knew when Andrew called he would probably say "hi, Ranger School sucks. I love you, I miss you, I'm going to bed" and I was fine with that... I just wanted to hear his voice and know that he was okay!

A few minutes later my heart skipped a beat when I heard Andrew's ringtone coming from my cell phone for the first time in three weeks! I picked up the phone and screamed "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BABE!" at the top of my lungs! He said his typical "Thanks, girl!" and I couldn't have been happier. I was shocked at how positive and awake he sounded, although knowing him it really shouldn't have surprised me. It was so good to talk to him again and I loved the fact that it was just like any other conversation we had ever had before.

Now for the stats: Out of 490 guys that had started Ranger School three weeks earlier only 184 were moving on to Phase II. That's 39%. Several of those who belonged in the other 61% were either failed out of the program, quit (they call it LOM'd--lack of motivation), or had to recycle the phase. I was so thankful that Andrew did not fall into any of these categories.


He was busy in his 8 hours off, but he did get a lot done and was able to call me once more before heading back to Fort Benning around 7 pm. I was at Shannon's house celebrating Uncle AJ's birthday with her kids who were SO EXCITED when he called to say hi! (Gavin was a little too excited and drooled all over my phone when Andrew was on speaker!) Here they are with the candles that Shannon made that somewhat resemble an "A" and a "J". We put them in Tasty Cakes and prayed, made wishes and sang "Happy Birthday dear Uncle AJ" about 20 times! It was a great way to celebrate a wonderful day!


So all-in-all it was a great day and I definitely went to sleep that night feeling like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I don't know if I am even going to make this blog public or just use it to document my thoughts, I guess only time will tell. For now, I am just happy to be the #1 girl of Ranger Candidate #156.

No comments:

Post a Comment