Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Two Months in the Books!

I can't believe we have made it to another HUGE milestone! Today marks exactly 2 months (or 59 days; but who's counting) since Andrew left Fort Knox for Afghanistan. Two months ago I couldn't even imagine that springtime would ever come, but today I walked out the front door sans-coat! No jacket, no coat, just my pants and a light cardigan! I couldn't have been happier.

It's pretty appropriate that today is also the day that Andrew got back from going out on his first patrol! I haven't gotten to talk to him much about it yet (actually at all; I just know he got back to the FOB safely this morning around 4am my time) but he was so excited to go. I can't wait to hear all about it tonight!

Today is also the birthday of two very important men in my life. My younger brother is turning 23 (yikes, maybe I should have left out the "younger" part- that makes me sound old). Since my dad's name and my brother's name are both Mark, we always called him "little Mark" and sometimes he still gets that, which is confusing since both Marks stand 6'4". The other birthday is Gavin's and he turns 3 today! I still remember Andrew's mom calling my cell phone in Italy to tell me that Gavin was born. I think it was the first time I had ever talked to her on the phone (and I hadn't met her yet) but it was such a happy conversation. Andrew's cell phone was on thr fritz (or maybe he had forgotten it in Italy and I was shipping it back to him- funny how time makes you forget little details like that) so Mom called to make sure I knew!

Today is a great day because I get to see BOTH of the birthday boys and it is the start to my long weekend! I'm flying home tonight to get some doctors appointments checked off my list, as well as spend St. Patty's Day with the only bunch that know how to do it right- the Bostonians! You better believe I'll have a drink or two in honor of my favorite soldier missing his favortie Boston Holiday! As I'm writing this, I just am realizing that we have only spent one St. Patrick's Day together- because of army commitments and me being in Italy that first year. That just won't do. Prepare for a big party next year, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment