Thursday, March 31, 2011

Deployment Positive Thursday- Week 11

The day I have been dreaming of for almost six months is finally here (or, um, will be tomorrow)! Red Sox Opening Day! There are no more glorious words to hear in my world as a sports fan. A new beginning. A new(ish) team. New ways to reach the ever-present goal. It is a beautiful, beautiful time of year! All I have to do is make it through the next 17 hours, and then baseball season will officially be in full swing. Yeah, pun intended... I'm that excited right now.

I'll be honest, I've been planning this post in my head for several weeks now (tomorrow is one of those "benchmark" days that feels especially good when I get to cross it off the calendar) and I had been thinking that I would write about the beautiful springtime weather and how it ushers in a whole new season of America's most beloved sport. Well, Mother Nature has different plans for me, as we are expecting a wintery mix tonight and Boston is expecting a full 6 inches (good thing our Home Opener isn't for another week). So even though I would love to write about all the cute sundresses and skirts I'll soon be wearing and how gorgeous the weather has been, I'll be wearing boots, pants, a sweater and a heavy coat and gloves to work tomorrow to ring in Opening Day. But honestly, nothing can get me down, a brand new season awaits! 162 games, I couldn't think of a better way to pass the time before Andrew comes home on Midtour Leave!

Speaking of my favorite soldier, I was so happy to hear that he received my latest care package yesterday-- in under two weeks! That's pretty much unheard of! It was loaded with everything a baseball fan needs for opening day... peanuts, cracker jacks, a Red Sox program that his parents bought when they went to a spring training game, lots of other goodies and whiffle balls! I also decorated the inside of the box so that  it would look like Fenway Park- complete with a replica Green Monster on one panel. I wish I had thought to take a picture, but you'll have to use your imagination on this one!

In other news, and keeping with the theme of positivity, I am happy to report that my brother, Mark, just landed his first full-time job! After graduating from college last May, he worked over the summer and then took the fall off to hunt and fish before diving head first into the real world. (I'm proud to say he took a page out of his big sister's book on this one- I did the same exact thing except I spent my time with Andrew before he started BOLC II training, not hunting). The most exciting part about it is that the job is in Washington, DC, only two hours away from me! I'm so excited to have him close by, and can't wait to start seeing a lot of him and his girlfriend this summer! Here is one of my favorite pictures of us as kids, goofing off after dinner one night:

At only 18 months apart (almost to the day) and with me being small for my age, we were often mistaken for twins!  Here we are practicing some crazy funky dance moves! I'm pretty sure the whole family was in a goofy mood this night and if I remember correctly we were listening to the Beatles... on Vinyls! Something we liked to do every once in a while. You can be assured that my dad was at the sink working on the dishes and my mom was taking a break from clearing the table as she snapped this gem.  

So all-in-all it feels great to cross another week off of this deployment list, and the start of baseball season is sure to make time start flying! I really can't believe this day is finally here! And even though the Red Sox don't start until tomorrow, some teams had their Opening Day today, which means Baseball Highlights were all over the TVs at the gym. I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear when I saw that! This is the best time of the year!
GO BOSOX!!!

1 comment:

  1. First pitch is at 4:05; Jon Lester on the mound for the Bosox. There are high expectations for this team this year with everyone healthy and the addition of Carl Crawford and Andrian Gonzales. so for opening day, we'll have a fire going (cold wtih 6" of snow, Mama's chicken gumbo with rice for dinner and high hopes for a winning year.

    ReplyDelete