Friday, June 7, 2013

Here we go again....

Well, I'm back. Andrew's second deployment started yesterday and now I am just trying to adjust to life with him gone. I have decided to return to the blogging world while Andrew is away because I found it to be so therapeutic over the course of the last deployment.

Things are a little bit different for us this time around, so there will be a lot of adjusting in the coming weeks. First (and most importantly), this is the first time we are facing a deployment as a married couple. We all know how much I hated the word "fiance" while we were engaged, but now the fact that I have to say the words "my husband is deployed" makes it sting just a little bit more. Also being a soldier's wife comes with more communication and information from the FRG (Family Readiness Group) at Fort Knox. Because of where we live, it is hard for me to be too involved with the FRG events going on on post, but it is nice to have the option to be a part of that support group.

Speaking of living arrangements, I have made the decision to say in Kentucky for the course of this deployment. I loved having the amazing Dolan support system last time Andrew was gone, and it's going to be so hard to go through this one without being able to share a glass of wine with Mom Dolan on a particularly taxing day, but it just feels like Kentucky is our home now. I have a great job here, which I love and amazing friends to keep me busy and I love returning to our home each night after work... It definitely makes me feel like a part of Andrew is still here with me.

Perhaps the biggest difference with this deployment is the timeline. At this point in his career, Andrew is considered a "Senior Lieutenant" and he will be up for Captain within the next couple of months. We received some amazing news a couple of weeks ago that Andrew has been given the chance to go to Special Forces Assessment and Selection(SFAS, or also simply called "Selection"), a three week course in Fort Bragg, NC. If he gets picked up for selection, we will be moving to Fort Bragg for about 2 years where he will be training for Special Forces in the Q Course. We are excited about the next phase of our lives and his career, and even more excited that because of the spot he is at in his career, he will most likely be returning home from the deployment earlier than we had originally thought! Waiting until after the full deployment to go to Selection could push his timeline back so far that it more than likely would effect his chances of getting picked up for the Q Course.

Yesterday was a tough day, and for the first time I realized that no matter how many deployments we go through, X Day will always be miserable. There are so many emotions and your mind just goes to all the places you really really don't want it to go. We spent about 3 hours waiting around for the busses, and said our "see ya laters" about a million times before it was finally time to go. I tried not to cry while he was still there, but who was I kidding... I was sending my best friend off to war for the second time in 3 years (and to make it hurt just a little bit more- he left exactly 17 months after his last homecoming) but thankfully I held the sobbing in until I was alone in the car.

I was lucky to have good friends spend the night at our place last night to keep me busy and happy. We ordered junk food and drank wine and watched friends, which was EXACTLY what I needed!

So the countdown is officially on. In the meantime, f you have any extra prayers to give be sure to send them our way!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

15 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are blogging again!! This deployment will be different for sure but we can look forward to visits to Etown and Ft. Knox!!!! I will soooo miss our glass of wine and our late night talks!!! You are a wonderful Army wife and strong person. With all the prayers and support you (and I ) will make it through this deployment. Happy that it won;t be as long. I am blessed to have such a wonderful daughter!! Till next time......Love Be With You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This totally sucks, there's no other way to say it. As a fellow military wife, high-five for your strength and bravery, and a huge thank you to Andrew for his service. I'm glad to hear you have a good support system while he's gone. Sending you guys positive thoughts and prayers for a safe and speedy homecoming for Andrew, from Edwards AFB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, and your husband, for your service and sacrifice. I can't imagine being in that sort of situation. I sponsor a soldier overseas and I can't imagine the strength it takes to go through a deployment. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hugs and love from Green Bay, WI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a rough situation! I'm sending prayers and love your way that you might have the support you need to get through the time that he's gone, and that your husband will stay safe until he is home with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you, Kristina, and sending prayers for Andrew's safe return. I also want to thank you both for the sacrifices made to keep our country safe. It's such an amazing thing so many men, women, and their families put on the line for our great Country. My household is one that will never take that for granite. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers to you and your husband. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristina,

    Thank you so much for sharing your story! While I haven't walked in your shoes, I have many friends who have and I want you to know that I have an immense amount of respect for you and gratitude for the sacrifices that you make. Please know that you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing time passes fast and that your husband returns home to you safe and sound before you know it. Prayers for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kristina, I came across your blog through another website and have to say, i feel my heart drop as i read about your husband leaving. First and formost i want to say, Thank you to your husband for his service to our country and second, Thank you for your service to us as well. You sound like a wonderful, supportive wife to him. :) I will bookmark your blog and continue to read it. May God Bless you and your husband. I will keep you both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what it's like to have a loved one deploy multiple times, and it's always hard, scary, sad and lonely. But know that you can always rest your mind in the peaceful knowledge that he loves you with all his heart, and you are always on his mind . . . and that he can't wait to get back home to you.

    Always love.

    Always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristina, I can only imagine what you must be going through. My heart goes out to you and Andrew. He may be the one in fatigues but you are serving as well. Please know that you have the respect, admiration and support of so many, myself included. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need to connect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a sister of an army family, I just wanted to stop by and say how grateful we are to all of you for your sacrifice and service. My positive thoughts are with you during this deployment. Many wishes for a safe and quick reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristina,

    Just a note to let you know I read your blog and its awesome stuff:) I know what being so much in love is but not the fact of being a military wife or girlfriend. But just let me say it would kill me me to be away from the love of my life for that long. Just want to say I will be praying for both of you for strength and peace during this time of being apart. Time seems to being going faster these days so soon and very soon you both will be together. May God Bless You Both,

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stay strong Kristina, you're so brave even to be sharing your experience, just know that others are thinking of you, I can see from the above comment that you have support in your life, cherish it and just know how appreciated your husbands work & presence is to so many people - even if it means time apart from you in the meantime. Always remember that every moment you have with him is made all the more special, precious and sweeter by the moments spent apart. Thinking of you here on the other side of the world. K

    ReplyDelete