Thursday, July 21, 2011

Deployment Positive Thursday- Week 27

Sometimes I think I must have been crazy to come up with this whole "deployment positive" idea. Yeah, the concept is nice and dandy and all, but some weeks I feel like I am completely sugar coating a horrible situation. I'm not talking about missing Andrew, because while that is difficult most days, it is nothing compared to the pain that the families of our fallen soldiers feel.

Honestly, it's hard for me some days to go on facebook and see people complaining about the little things in life- like the air conditioning not working, or getting a blister from running in their brand new, state-of-the-art running shoes- when I know that so many men and women are sacrificing their lives so that we can make complaints like that. There are so many more important things in life, I really just wish some people would take a step back for a moment and realize how good life is and how lucky they are. It's sad, but for most Americans, it seems like the war and our soldiers are not on the forefront of their minds.

Regardless of your political opinions, the fact of the matter is that we are at war. The men and women in our armed forces are there by choice, they feel it is their duty and their honor and they are all so incredibly brave. I wish I could individually thank each and every Soldier, Marine, Airman, Sailor and Coastie who has ever served but obviously I can't. And I can't send my condolences and hug each Gold Star family member who has lost a loved one.

I am so proud of my fiance's chosen profession. I admire him so much for everything he does and everything he stands for, and I feel honored to be a part of a military family (because even though we haven't signed the papers or said "I do" yet, we are a family). Sometimes it is just hard to watch other families in such pain and realize it just isn't fair. You feel guilty that you still have your soldier and they don't have their's.

I'm rambling. I didn't mean this to post to be a rant or a lecture, I've just had a lot on my mind lately. I guess it all boils down to one of my favorite quotes of all time, and my new favorite song by James Otto.

"Only two men have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom"


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment