Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The First of Many Posts Where I'll Vent About the Airlines, I'm Sure

If you know me, you know I probably have the worst luck ever when it comes to flying and airlines.

I'm a person who has been flying from a very early age routinely and I never had problems when I would fly with my family, so it must just be me. To date, of the past 8 flights I have taken (all within the past 4 months or so), EVERY SINGLE ONE has been delayed or canceled. That doesn't include the TWO 18+ inch snow storms that hit Baltimore this winter that both happened to fall on the same dates that I was supposed to see Andrew (the first at Christmas time, the second right before Valentines Day). This is not a joke, people! Its my life! It has gotten to the point where I build in time for the delay that I know is coming.

But this story doesn't involve a delay, just utter airline ridiculousness.

I booked my flight on Saturday night to go down to Atlanta early to surprise Andrew on his pass on Wednesday before Graduation. I had seen the tickets for $69 earlier that week, but obviously when I went to book they were $117 each way. On Sunday night I realized that I was flying in way too late so I called priceline and tried to change it. She said I could cancel and then re-book it free of charge, but she couldn't book it for me-- thanks lady, you were completely useless. So I canceled with her and then booked my earlier flight through US Air.

When I still hadn't gotten a confirmation email by this morning, I was a little worried. Also on a whim, I checked ticket prices and they went back down to $69! So I talked to Andrew's mom about it and she said I should call the airline and ask for a price adjustment. When I did there was no record of me on the flights! They had my voided tickets from my canceled flights, but I didn't show up anywhere else in the system! I told her I wanted to book it now and she said she would charge me $40 service charge to book it for me, so I should do it online.

As soon as I got back to work after my lunch break, I booked it at the lower rate (and received my confirmation email this time!)! I was so excited to save over $100, but seriously, I could have been flightless! Could you imagine what a nightmare that could have been?! Thankfully everything is sorted out for now!

On a separate note: Today marks exactly:
  • 3 months since I have seen Andrew
  • 1 month until my birthday
  • (most importantly) 2 weeks until I fly down to Atlanta to surprise him! EEEKKKK! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment