Monday, February 7, 2011

The Longest 2 Months in Sports

Every year, as they count down the final seconds of the Super Bowl and begin the celebrations on the field, my heart saddens a little bit. (To be completely honest though: I skipped the sad feeling in 02, 03 and 05 though when the Patriots won) Surprisingly, this sad feeling doesn't usually come from the fact that my team lost, it comes from what I know lies ahead...

The longest two months in sports.

The time between the end of football season and the official beginning of baseball season. This year we only have to suffer through 51 days of this torture (for Red Sox fans; we open on April 1st) but gosh, April seems like millions of years away right now.

Every year I try to help pass the time by feigning excitement in March Madness, but it's just not the same. I'm a Football and Baseball kinda girl. Simple as can be. I'll always be a Boston fan, nothing's ever going to change that; it's just a part of who I am.

There is one good thing, however, that comes with the end of the football season: the end of countless debates and arguments between Andrew and I. No more pointless "Tom Brady has the worst hair ever" or "Ben Rothlisberger looks like a homeless hick" comments (trying to keep this clean for the kiddos here... you know where these accusations can start going...). UGH Football season can be so stressful because of all the bantering back and forth, back and forth!

But alas, the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel: Baseball Season. There is nothing on this earth that Andrew and I could agree more whole-heartedly on. The Red Sox. The single most amazing team in the whole-wide-MLB. We've got the history, the curse, the beloved ballpark, and now, thanks to Theo, we've got some serious talent in the field and power at the plate. If all goes according to plan, this will be one heck of a year to watch the boys from Beantown work their magic. Theo and the rest of the management team stated last off season that 2010 would be a "rebuilding year". While it was disappointing to hear (and watch) at the time, I am constantly reminded of the Sox last rebuilding year: 2006.

2007 brought another World Series Championship to Boston. Rebuilding: Success!

So here is to the next 51 days passing quickly and quietly. The signs of spring are right around the corner, and before you know it, they'll have that massive American Flag waving and covering the entire Green Monster and it'll be time for the first pitch. I can't hardly wait....


Something to tie myself over until April 1st:
My favorite moment in (my own memory of) Red Sox History:
Dave Roberts steals Second on Mariano Rivera in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS

1 comment:

  1. Do you ever argue about anything that matters!!!???? Really..Patriots vs Steelers...can't you like both teams??? I don't get it!! HAHA!!

    ReplyDelete