Thursday, July 18, 2013

Deployment Positive (Insert Random Day of the Week Here)- Week 6

It's pretty hard to believe that we have already just about hit the 6 week mark of this deployment. I guess it's the same feeling I have always had during separations; day to day seems to go by slowly, but looking back I can't believe we've already come this far. 

I've said it before and I will say it again... A large part of my sanity during Andrews time away has to be credited to my amazing family and friends. This past weekend I went up to my parents' house in New Hampshire and visited with them, my uncle, grandmother, brother and future sister in law! It was so great to catch up on lost time, and I love that my brother has found somebody who is such an amazing fit in our small little family. We spent lots of time talking about the upcoming wedding, which is one of my favorite pastimes!

Monday and Tuesday were strictly girls days. On Monday, Emily and I went down to spend the day in Boston and I met up with the greatest friends a girl could have. It was so great to see my girls from college and high school and pick up right where we left off. It's one of the best feeling in the world, knowing that months and months can pass and true friends are always there for you. It's amazing how we are all at different phases of our lives, but we hold a common bond of the past that will keep us together forever. Wow, that got sappy in a hurry... I guess what I am trying to say is that I'm a very blessed girl to have such amazing friends. 

Boston is probably my favorite place in the entire world, and this was the first time I had been there since the tragic events that happened at the marathon this year. To me, Boston has always had its own identity and there is some sort of unspoken bond between those who have called it home at any point in their lives. My heart absolutely swelled with pride and simultaneously broke into a million prices  when I watched the footage of the first responders and the heroes that emerged from the horrors of those events. I have never taken my roots in New England for granted, but I never ached as badly as I did in April that I wasn't there with my fellow Bostonians... Through the good and bad. It was amazing, albeit not surprising, to observe how the city has bounced back, and I am proud to always have a piece of Boston in my heart. Not only because it is where I met the love of my life, or because it is where he asked me to be his wife, or because of all of the little moments I have spent there over the course of my 26 years. It's because of the history of Bostonians, and what they have always been proud to sacrifice for the greater good of our fine nation.  It's the place that always makes me happy, no matter what. 

Speaking of things that make me happy no matter what, that husband of mine is still doing well over in the sandbox. He keeps telling me there isn't really anything new to report, but I suppose no news is good news. Next week I am heading to the Jersey Shore with his (excuse me, OUR) family! I can't wait for another getaway, but it definitely won't be the same without him. I sure do love keeping busy! Before we know it, he'll be home safe in my arms... And I can't wait!!'


1 comment:

  1. Kristina,
    I am trying to get AJ's address to send him care packages. Our church sent him stuff during his last deployment and the story is interesting how that came to be. I also want to mention, my some
    Tyler is in the RANNNNGER graduation picture, number 4.

    I have the boxes ready to go, i just need an address. my email is nhitter@gmail.com

    Neil Hitter

    ReplyDelete