Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Deployment Positive Monday- Week 5

Just to preface this: in all honesty, I planned to delay this week's post.

There are some days at work that are just so rewarding, and today happened to be one of them. There is a nationwide charity called Brides Across America, which donates weddings gowns to military brides at events twice a year. I am proud to say that my wedding boutique is one of the participating partners for this event and today was our Fourth of July Giveaway!

We had about 15-20 women register for the event and each one is engaged to a man in the military who is either currently deployed or has had a recent deployment. Actually, one was even in the military herself, which I thought was pretty cool. It was such a special day for me to help to give back to those in my own community! We gave away one dress to every bride who came today (they got to try on a couple of different ones to have the bridal experience and could choose their favorite) and most for veils and bridesmaid dresses as well. To see these women be so thankful and overjoyed was really an overwhelming feeling for me. 

I know first hand how difficult it is to plan a wedding during a deployment. There is so much weight behind every single decision you make. Every penny you spend, you question. Every contract you sign, you prepare for the worst. The anxiety level is high to say the least. So I can't imagine how what it meant to these ladies today to not have to stress abut the expense of a wedding gown. I'm proud of the management at my boutique for being a part of this amazing organization long before they ever had a military wife as an employee. I truly work for and with such kind-hearted people. I left work today feeling so fulfilled and happy!

In deployment news, Andrew is doing well and trying to keep busy working out once or twice a day during the downtime in between missions outside the wire. I realized a couple of days ago that if I am going to make our first wedding anniversary special for that boy I need to get a care package together and out to him soon. To me it still feels like August is so far away, but its only a couple of weeks from now! It is crazy how quickly the summer flies by, even when he it gone. I guess I'm just a lucky girl to be so busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment