Thursday, January 20, 2011

Deployment Positive Thursday- Week 1

When I had this idea of doing a weekly positive post, I was sure that the first few weeks (and probably some- or all- weeks in between) would be near impossible to dream up.
Honestly this deployment has taken me by surprise. I thought I would be out for the count for a long time after Andrew left, but I've been doing fine. Better than fine. I feel like this is all normal already, which is weird to me. It must be a case of the anticipation being worse than the actual "new normal". I think a lot of my "okay-ness" (yes I just made up that word, get used to it) with this deployment comes from a combination of two sources:
  1. Prayer and Support of Family and Friends- this has been overwhelming and I am so thankful for each and every one of you
  2. The fact that Andrew wasn't a part of my daily life before he left. We were used to the long distance relationship, so why not add a few more thousand miles between us. Technology makes the world a much smaller place!
Okay so on with my positive for this week: Most of my excitement since Andrew left has come from the fact that I've been able to communicate with him every day so far. I am so thankful for this. My expectations were to maybe hear from him via email once or twice in this first week-- if I was lucky. So BIG checkmark in that box! As long as Andrew has wifi, I get texts (and a video chat every now and again)! And given the situation, I couldn't be happier! I told Andrew the other day: so far this deployment is peanuts compared to Ranger School!

I also have something else (on a slightly smaller scale- but something that has been bothering me for a while, nonetheless) to be happy about; I finally figured out how to let those interested subscribe for email updates (thanks mostly to our engagement picture photographer, and friend, Amy!). I played around with it a little bit and if I did everything right (fingers crossed) all you have to do is enter your email address over there --> on the right where it asks for it and this "feed burner" service will send you an email when I add a new post. I tried it out  and it seems to work, but depending on your email service (gmail, yahoo, etc.) it might show up in your spam or junk folder.

3 comments:

  1. YIPPEE!!! Love to hear all the positives! I signed up for e-mails so I'm hoping they come to my inbox. I'll keep you posted! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to get the updates and hear your positive outlook. I signed up for the e-mails too. Andrew, hope all is well (although according to Weather underground.com, the weather there is like NH---cold, cold, cold). Since Andrew seems to be pretty well “connected" technologically, not only can you "talk" with him regularly, but hopefully he'll be able to follow the Steelers win over the Jets on Sunday (Monday for him)! Assume you are pulling for the Steelers too...PLEASE!?. We have a candle in the upstairs window which will be on until Andrew is back with you. Also, we got a yellow ribbon; as soon as we get it up on the tree in the front yard, you'll get a picture (I'm sure i don't know how to upload it to this blog). Keep the postings coming! All our love and support. From cold, snowy New Hampshire-- Papa/Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. <-- AWW that was the cutest post ever, Mark!! I am subscribing to the blog too and can't wait for the e-mails. I love you!

    ReplyDelete