Monday, January 17, 2011

New Day, New Routine

Well our first full day of this deployment has officially come to an end. I'm happy to say that I feel fine. I can't believe it, but there wasn't a single moment today where I felt the urge to cry. In all the ways I imagined this day going, I never could have fathomed this.

I took the day off from work because I knew I would need a day to recuperate and recover. Last night I actually slept well. Didn't have any weird dreams and even slept in until almost noon! It was glorious. I was awoken by the pitter-patter of little feet coming up the stairs and quiet giggling as my bedroom door slowly opened! I was so happy to see the bright, smiling faces of Alisia, Lillia and Gavin! They jumped up in bed with me- and Lillia grabbed the Camouflaged Camel that sings Ice, Ice Baby and started playing it and I was just so happy to be with them! I went downstairs and we all had a PJ day which was exactly what I needed.

I was watching the Nutcracker with the girls around 2 when I heard Shannon call my name and say "KRISTINA! Mom just got a text from AJ!" I ran upstairs to see, and it was really true! Then ran back down to get my phone and saw that I, too, had gotten a text!

"Totally in Manas. It's 1 am Tuesday. What time is it there?"

I couldn't have been happier! Andrew bought an iPod Touch a week or two ago and was really close to returning when he couldn't get his music onto it (because he has an outdated operating system) but decided to keep it because of all the cool apps. One of those apps is called TextNow (thanks, Karly!) and as long as he has wifi he can text my cell phone (or any phone) for free! We came to the conclusion yesterday that our iPods are officially the best investment we've ever made!

Not only did we get to text, we also used FaceTime, another program on the iPod (I'm really plugging for you here, Steve Jobs) which is basically the same thing as Skype. It was so great to see his smiling face! We had some connection problems because the signal in Manas isn't so good, but we talked for maybe ten minutes this afternoon and about twenty tonight! He even gave me and his mom a virtual tour around the FOB (Forward Operating Base) in Manas.
He should be in Manas until Tuesday or Wednesday, but these types of things often get pushed back. For not he is in high spirits and just hanging out. They have a gym, DFac (Dining Facility), game room... all the comforts of home! I am back to work in the morning and actually looking forward to getting into a new routine. If tomorrow goes anything like today did, I should be a very happy camper!

No comments:

Post a Comment