Thursday, December 22, 2011

Deployment Positive Thursday- Week 49

I think this time of year it is reasonably normal for one to do a lot of reflecting. As we enter into the heart of the Holiday Season, everyone seems to be focused on Christmas and New Years which is right around the corner.

"What a year it's been" and "can you believe that XYZ happened this year" along with tv specials, news articles and blogs (my own included) are seen and heard everywhere reminding us of everything that has happened in the world in the past (almost) 365 days.

I have to say, it's pretty neat to book-end this deployment with New Years Celebrations. It shows me how far I've come, how much has changed around me, and exactly how many celebrities and political figures have completely lost their minds since Andrew has been deployed. Especially for me, the absolute freak about numbers and dates, it's beet a pretty cool way to wind down this deployment.

For example, Charlie Sheen was somewhat sane on X-Day. Nobody outside the state of New York had ever heard of Anthony Weiner, Kim Kardashian had only been on a few dates with her now ex-husband, and oh yeah... Osama bin Laden was still creepin' around. It's just been cool to see all the re-caps going on lately and realize that although I sometimes feel like life and the world around me has been on a stand-still this year, that is in fact, not the case.

Keeping with the Holiday theme, I'd like to share with you all what I asked for for Christmas this year. The only thing I want is for Andrew to call home on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Nothing could replace hearing his voice actually talking to him!

But my soldier had other plans for my Christmas gift this year, and forgive me but I have to brag a little bit about how absolutely amazing this guy is! Waiting for me under the Dolan Family Christmas Tree tonight (my last night in Etown before heading home to New Hampshire) was a very small box with a beautiful white ribbon, and inside were the most gorgeous pair of diamond and sapphire earrings I have ever seen!

I was absolutely overwhelmed (and even teared up a bit) as Dad said "AJ really wanted to make sure you opened this before you left". I really miss Andrew (understatement of the year) and opening that gift that I was in no way expecting just absolutely warmed my heart. I can't wait to have that boy back home soon and give him his Christmas present!

That is one of the very few benefits of spending the holidays apart... making other days into holidays! We had Christmas today when I opened my earrings, Christmas will happen for the world on Sunday, and we'll have Christmas again when Andrew is home! Not too shabby for a couple-weeks' span!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. What a great gift! That is great that your guy is almost home :)

    ReplyDelete