Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Whole Quarter!

I am so, so, so happy and beyond excited to report that an entire quarter of this deployment is behind us forever! Yep, you read that right. A quarter, one-forth, a quadrant, twenty-five percent.... however you want to look at it, it's gone! Never to be seen or heard from again!

Three whole months in the books! It's so funny to look back on because parts of me feel like this time has flown by and then other parts of me feels like we're not making any progress. It's hard to imagine that Ranger School was 3 1/2 months long... that seems like sooooooo much longer than the three months we've already invested in this deployment. I guess the major difference there was that we didn't know what to expect with Ranger School and we were living with the ever-present threat of a recycle that would extend the school by 3-6 weeks. We are months away from dealing with the changing dates of this deployment at this point- which I assure you, will happen. 

This weekend was a great way to celebrate the closing of Q1. On Friday night Mom Dolan and I went to dinner and shopping and I got some great new dresses and outfits for the spring/summer as well as my upcoming business trip to Orlando (can't wait)! I've come to the conclusion that I'm an emotional shopper. Where others seek comfort in foods or alcohol, when I'm stressed, I shop. The day Andrew recycled Ranger School I bought two pairs of adorably impractical shoes that --combined-- I have worn a grand total of one time. Emotional shopping though, when done with the help of an expert (insert Mom Dolan) is actually quite beneficial and great for my wardrobe! 

Yesterday we had a church retreat in Harrisburg (as one of the final steps of my RCIA process before I actually convert- which won't be happening until my Sponsor, Andrew, is here to witness it and join in my first communion with me) and then I drove down to DC to be with my family! My brother starts work at a new job tomorrow and just moved in with his girlfriend (who I love) just outside of the city. Our family was meeting her family for the first time, but we all had such a fun evening. Lots of driving for a short visit, but definitely worth it!

Today after Palm Sunday Mass, Shannon's family was over for lunch when the house phone rang... which is kind of weird for a Sunday. Dad Dolan answered and I knew right away by the tone in his voice who was on the other end! My heart just about leaped out of my chest and I got butterflies in my stomach. He was on the phone for a little while, and I sat in the den with him on speaker while he talked to his parents (and Gavin, who RAN to the phone when he found out it was his God-Daddy). All of a sudden, the call was dropped and all we could hear was a busy-tone. I was crushed. I hadn't even said hi to him, he didn't even know I was there. 

We all waited for about five minutes before we realized he wasn't calling back and the network must have just gone down. Saying I was heart-broken would be an understatement. I had to take some time to myself and let myself meltdown for a bit. Everything just hit me like a ton of bricks, I had been praying so hard that I would be able to talk to Andrew this weekend. Physically talk to him. Not email or text, I needed to hear his voice and just carry on a conversation and bounce ideas off of him. I really thought this was the answer to my prayers and just as fast as it happened, it was gone. A few minutes later I got a text from Andrew saying "Bummer, the network must be down. That was way too short, were you there"? I texted him back as quickly as I could and said I was there and begged him to go to the MWR and try to use skype. I wasn't going to give up. I had to talk to him. It took almost a full hour and a half to get everything up and running, and many many failed calls, but we finally did it. I could see his grainy face and his smile warmed my heart. 

Alisia and Lillia were with me when the call finally went through and I was so happy that the computer almost fell off my lap! Alisia found it necessary to tell Andrew "Aunt Tina was cryyyyyy-ing!" but it was cute the way she said it and we were all just happy to have him be a part of our lives for the time being. We talked for 42 minutes and 12 seconds and I basked in the glory of every single moment of it. Joking around and not worrying about how much each text is going to cost or if what I'm saying is going to be read and understood the way I am intending was liberating. It's like he wasn't even gone this afternoon, he was inside my computer laughing with me and carrying on a normal back and forth, give and take conversation. It was simply amazing, and the best part was that we got to decide when the conversation ended. Not the Taliban (who control the cell phone network over there), not the wireless companies, or anyone waiting in line for a pay phone (a la Ranger School). It was time for Andrew to get to bed and we got to squeeze in lots of "I love you"s (which mean a bazillion times more when they are said, not typed) and "I miss you"s. 

Over the course of those two or three hours today, I went from probably the lowest low I have been at this deployment (save the day he actually left) to one of the highest highs. It was a struggle, but in the end, it made that 42:12 call all the more special.

My Soldier - My Hero - My World - My Everything

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even know you guys were skyping! I thought it was just a phone call. That's so cool that you were able to see and hear him! I'm sure that was a HUGE difference!!!

    ReplyDelete